Monthly Archives: January 2010

Exchange 2007 : Disable Outlook Web Access and Activesync for multiple users

Use the following commando to disable OWA and Activesync for everyone :

get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited| set-CASMailbox -ActiveSyncEnabled:$False -OwaEnabled:$False

You can then create an CSV to enable OWA and Activesync for specific users :

Create a CSV with one column named UserPrincipalName and below it the users defined for which it needs it be active: import-csv c:\ActiveSync.csv | foreach-object {set-CASMailbox -identity $_.UserPrincipalName -…

Classfactory error when moving mailbox to Exchange Server 2007

Some mailboxes may be reported as failed in your mailbox move report, with the following error information:

Error occurred in the step: Opening source mailbox. Failed to open mailbox with error: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class, error code: -1056749262.

Check the properties of the account in Active Directory Users & Computers and you should find that the account is disabled.  Exchange will not move a mailbox for a disabled user account.  Your options here are to enable the account temporarily while you move the mailbox, or just delete the mailbox from your legacy Exchange server.

Before :

After ;

App for vmware admins who are on the go : vManage 1

Check out this site :

or :

I’m currently trying the software. Shall post my findings on

Looks interesting…

Update : installed the app on my Iphone and it works amazing!

Check out the screenshots I’ve made :


First configure the settings : (I’ve used the IP address of my vCenter server, not the DNS name)

Start the app and it should look something like this. 🙂

Hit the refresh button and get started! (Check out the button below, VM’s, Hosts, Alarms etc!!)

Found mine test server! Click it!

You get some basic information about your hosts. (I’ve wiped out some data for security issues)

VMotion works fine!

Click any VM and it will show you some information about it.

Hit Actions and power it on, migrate etc.

Anyone still thinks iPhone is not for business use? 🙂



PFDAVADMIN error : name cannot begin with the ‘0’ character 2

Microsoft recommends using the PFDAVADMIN utility from a workstation, not from the console of the Exchange server, though. If you get this message, do NOT install the v1.1 Framework on an existing Exchange 2007 server. You run the risk of resetting some of the v2.0 Framework settings and, thus, breaking Exchange Server 2007! If you want to run PFDAVADMIN from the console of an Exchange 2007 server, you need to install the v1.1 .NET Framework prior to building Exchange. Thus, the “workstation” option is much more desirable.

Solved : Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error: MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000 2

When installing a fresh Exchange 2007 CCR (W2K8) configuration for a customer of IT Oost Nederland I ran into a problem with moving the mailboxen :


The error :

Error occurred in the step: Moving messages.
Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error:
MAPI or an unspecified service provider.
ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164

Some mailboxes didn’t have the problem, others give the previous error.

I’ve done some searching on the internet and found that this error should be solved with Exchange 2007 Roll up pack 4 for Exchange 2007 SP1.
WSUS didn’t install the latest roll up pack and service pack (SP 2 for Exchange 2007) so i downloaded SP2 for Exchange 2007 followed by Exchange 2007 SP2 Roll up pack 1. (Are you still with me? 🙂 )

I already mentioned it was a cluster, so it was a bit more work to install them .  Check out this PDF how it can be done : UPGR_CCR_SP2

After upgrading the 3 Exchange servers the problem was still there. So I ran the exchange best practive analyzer :

Ok, the problem with the offline address book that wasn’t the problem. I wasn’t done configuring the new server.

This can be fixed by installing the latest SP (3, for Exchange 2000) and the latest Roll up pack. Then reboot and voila this problem is gone!

Setting the value must be done in decimal otherwise Exchange doesn’t pick it up.

Removed the M: drive

Ok, I’ve done al that. Did it work? NO!!!

After some searching I found PFDAVAdmin :

On this site you can find more info about this great tool from Microsoft which is fully supported also! :

Our workaround for the errors we were (!) getting was :

First, Propagate folder ACEs (select all inherited rights), then Fix folder DACLs, followed by Check for item-level permissions and then…. remove item-level permissions.

Our problems were gone!

What didn’t help, but was mentioned on the internet :

– remount store
– disable antivirus software
– move mailbox between servers (Exchange 2000)
– disable or remove rules
– explicit deny = false powershell command
– giving exchange administrator explicit rights on every mailbox (was not necessary)
Update : you can do that with : add-mailboxpermission -Id “gh.paskamp” -User “pvadmin” -AccessRights FullAccess -Deny:$false (explicit remove inherited deny rights)


Update : Recipient Update Service software update required –>