Yearly Archives: 2011


Howto : quickly check domain health

Before I upgrade a domain I usually check for problems and issues. I use the following steps to give me an idea of the status :

(Check DC en services)

Check networking components

Show DHCP status

Show all replication between sites

Show replication issues

When you perform the steps mentioned and you didn’t ran into several errors than you have probably nothing to worry about. 🙂


VSS error FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). 2

I ran into a problem with VMware converter.  I got the following error :

unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754774

The following steps worked for me :

Confirm that there are no errors with the following command :

 

I found more then one provider with the following command :

 

I deleted the second (everything but the first) provider (please back-up your keys first!) :

I then did a restart of the VSS service (net stop vss , net start vss)

Followed by enabling shadow copies (and made a snapshot of the drive)

Now I was able to succesfully create VSS and import a running physical machine using VMware converter!


How to reset the admin password of a 3com superstack switch

This is how you do that :

Connect to the switch with the serial cable and putty.

Login with the credentials recover / recover

Reset the switch (power down, power on) within 30 secs

Now you can re-configure your switch with all the necessary accounts like admin/manager/monitor/security

You can even disable the recover possibility, hope you didn’t do that because then these steps won’t work. 🙂


Troubleshooting Exchange Server 2007 Activesync (re-create virtual dir)

Today when troubleshooting Activesync problems with an Exchange 2007 environment I decided to delete en re-create the Exchange Activesync virtual directory. I used the following steps :

  1. get-activesyncvirtualdirectory (verify you Activesync virtual directory)
  2. remove-activesyncvirtualdirectory -identity “Microsoft-Server-Activesync (Default Web Site)” (remove the Activesync virtual directory)
  3. get-activesyncvirtualdirectory (verify the virtual directory is now gone)
  4. New-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory -WebSiteName “Default Web Site” (re-create the virtual directory)
    get-activesyncvirtualdirectory (verify it has been re-created)

This is often a clean and fast solution when several options has been altered for troubleshooting for example.


No DNS servers could be retrieved from network adapter…. 1

I found the sollution for the following error :

The solution was to specify the right DNS servers in the DNS console.

Open the Microsft Exchange Management Console

 

Select properties of the hub transport or the EDGE server.

 

Make sure that the right DNS servers are specified by internal and external DNS lookups.

Finally restart the Microsoft Exchange Transport services and check out the application log.

 


Change Exchange Mailbox Language

Everybody has seen it one or twice. When importing exchange data using PST files that a user has both an postvak in as an inbox folder.

I found a nifty tool that changes the language of the exchange mailbox to a specified language.

For example :

As you can see the above mailbox language is in English.

Now you start the tool (ignore the mapi error) and select the user(s) you wish to change :

You hit set and you will notice the mailbox(es) are changed into the preferred language :

You can download the software here. The software is made by a company called amrein. Visit them at http://www.amrein.com


Robocopy Error #112 when copying large amount of data to EMC cifs

A customer had problems synchronizing large amount of data to an EMC CIFS share using the robocopy /mir commandline option.

After some troubleshooting I found that opslock, hidden sharing and CIFS caching were not the problem but the fact that the share was thin created. I created 2 shares, one thin and one fat. You guessed it right, the thin version failed. Changed the properties to fat and the problem was gone!