-1056749164


Solved : Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error: MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000 2

When installing a fresh Exchange 2007 CCR (W2K8) configuration for a customer of IT Oost Nederland I ran into a problem with moving the mailboxen :

 

The error :

Error occurred in the step: Moving messages.
Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error:
MAPI or an unspecified service provider.
ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164

Some mailboxes didn’t have the problem, others give the previous error.

I’ve done some searching on the internet and found that this error should be solved with Exchange 2007 Roll up pack 4 for Exchange 2007 SP1.
WSUS didn’t install the latest roll up pack and service pack (SP 2 for Exchange 2007) so i downloaded SP2 for Exchange 2007 followed by Exchange 2007 SP2 Roll up pack 1. (Are you still with me? 🙂 )

I already mentioned it was a cluster, so it was a bit more work to install them .  Check out this PDF how it can be done : UPGR_CCR_SP2

After upgrading the 3 Exchange servers the problem was still there. So I ran the exchange best practive analyzer :

Ok, the problem with the offline address book that wasn’t the problem. I wasn’t done configuring the new server.

MAPISTUB.DLL
This can be fixed by installing the latest SP (3, for Exchange 2000) and the latest Roll up pack. Then reboot and voila this problem is gone!

HeapDeCommitFreeBlock
Setting the value must be done in decimal otherwise Exchange doesn’t pick it up.

ExchangeIFS
Removed the M: drive

Ok, I’ve done al that. Did it work? NO!!!

After some searching I found PFDAVAdmin :

On this site you can find more info about this great tool from Microsoft which is fully supported also! : http://www.msexchange.org/articles/PFDavAdmin-tool-Part1.html

Our workaround for the errors we were (!) getting was :

First, Propagate folder ACEs (select all inherited rights), then Fix folder DACLs, followed by Check for item-level permissions and then…. remove item-level permissions.

Our problems were gone!

What didn’t help, but was mentioned on the internet :

– remount store
– disable antivirus software
– move mailbox between servers (Exchange 2000)
– disable or remove rules
– explicit deny = false powershell command
– giving exchange administrator explicit rights on every mailbox (was not necessary)
Update : you can do that with : add-mailboxpermission -Id “gh.paskamp” -User “pvadmin” -AccessRights FullAccess -Deny:$false (explicit remove inherited deny rights)

 

Update : Recipient Update Service software update required –> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998518(EXCHG.80).aspx