I’ve recently done and passed the Azure Security Engineer Associate AZ-500 Exam. This exam covers a wide range of topics and technologie. Before considering this exam, you should have good knowledge about Azure technology.
I advice you to use the following certification path :
My advice is first take the AZ-900 and AZ-103 exams before going for the AZ-500 exam. The Azure Security Engineer role was recently added to the list and is the newest exam so far.
The following pre-requisites are in place :
- Familiarity with the implementation of security controls on the Microsoft Azure platform
- In-depth knowledge of virtualization, cloud N-tier architecture, Amazon Kubernetes Service, and networking
- Ability to recognize and address vulnerabilities using several security tools; implementing security solutions for the protection of networks, applications, and data
- Expertise in scripting and automation, identity and access management, and maintaining security status
A general understanding of the following areas is highly recommended :
- Azure Portal
- ARM Templates
- Security Concepts
The following topics and their weight :
|Manage Identity and Access||20-25%|
|Implement Platform Protection||35-40%|
|Manage Security Operations||15-20%|
|Secure Data and Applications||30-35%|
The exam is both in Japanese and English language and costs 164 EUR/USD.
I found the exam relatively easy (for example, I found the AZ-400 exam much harder). I had a couple of cases and one lab containing 11 tasks. Because my mouse didn’t work in the lab environment I was unable to complete all the tasks. (I did score enough to pass although)
I used the following materials :
- Official MCT material for AZ-500 exam
- Youtube (there’s lot of interesting Azure stuff to be found there)
- Study Notes found on the internet and combined on vWorld.nl 🙂
This as an addition to real life experience.